Tuesday, June 01, 2010

An Amusing True Story About This One Time I Tried To Prevent Date Rape

On my way from my car to go see a couple of bands play at a bar I notice a couple walking on the sidewalk about a half block away from me, a man and a woman, both dressed reasonably nice. The woman is talking loudly and angrily and having trouble walking in a straight line; the man is doing his best to steady the woman.

I cross to the other side of the street and keep walking.

As I get closer I can see the woman is not just drunk, but extraordinarily, famously drunk - frat party drunk, comatose drunk, vomit-at-any-minute drunk. Sick drunk. She seems to be struggling weakly against both gravity and her companion, who does not seem inebriated whatsoever, and moreso than that seems to be doing his best to shut her up and hustle her into the apartment complex they're now standing in front of.

It's not quite ten PM, central standard time, on a Saturday night.

The woman is clearly angry at the man, and clearly not used to being this wasted. The man, on the other hand, seems every bit as calm and collected as the woman is upset and disoriented. He also looks about ten or fifteen years older than the her, now that I've got a better look. The woman is yelling at him now, pushing at him. She takes a swing at him with her purse, misses, and falls squat on her ass.

I've had friends who've been drugged at clubs or bars. It's awful. When she fell onto the pavement like that I had to stop walking.

"Hey! Is everything okay?"

The guy looks up while attempting to help the woman off the ground. He seems more agitated now. "Yeah, we're fine."

The woman has been yell-muttering unintelligibly this whole time. She does not like being helped up. "She's just drunk is all," the man says. The woman starts protesting semi-coherently.

I'm bad at confrontation and I'm good at minding my own business but at that moment I was beyond pissed off at the guy. He went on a date with some girl, doped her up, and now he's trying to hustle her into his apartment before she passes out. At that moment he was everyone who's ever taken advantage of anyone else.

I raised my voice. "It's not even ten o'clock. Who gets this drunk at ten o'clock?"

He sighed a little bit. "My wife."

She steadied herself on his shoulder and yelled across the street to me "It's because I'm a Republican and he's a Democrat!"

I smiled and wished them a good evening, told them to take care. I continued on to the bar, grateful for the happy ending. I felt like shit.

39 comments:

筠銘 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考,...........................................................................

佩怡 said...

呵。。。。好可愛~~..................................................

esthermelvin said...

Birth is much but breeding is more. 加油! .........................................

怡潔怡潔 said...

Virtue is a jewel of great price. ............................................................

benjaminga said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。.........................

禎峰 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗......................................................................

江婷 said...

這個部落格好好好~棒棒棒~~~......................................................................

祁禾 said...

很喜歡你的部落格 留言支持你 祝你人氣長紅~~~......................................................................

陳隆 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。......................................................................

亦妮亦妮 said...

一定要保持最佳狀況呦,加油!!!期待你發表的新文章!.................................................................

育財育財育財 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

香昱信張君林 said...

安安!剛開始玩這個,來這裡逛一下^^............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

雲亨雲亨雲亨 said...

不錯喔~你的部落格很優~..................................................................

函松 said...

加油-不論如何都支持你............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

生命就像騎單車一樣,除非你停止踩踏板,否則不會掉下去。.......................................................

江美娟江美娟 said...

好久沒有這樣輕鬆享受閱讀的樂趣了~~留個言邀您分享我的快樂~~............................................................

茂慧茂慧 said...

要經常發表文章 最愛你了呦..................................................

曾法幸 said...

人們不缺少力量,他們缺少意志。..................................................

ErnestoW_Honaker101婉菁8 said...

每日都有新日光,每日都有新希望。..................................................

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...

男女互悅,未必廝守終生,相愛就是美的。.................................................................

劉彥陳王姵君晏雄 said...

人自幼就應該通過完美的教育,去建立一種好的習慣。......................................................

恩李如恩李如 said...

我來湊熱鬧的~~^^ 要平安快樂哦..................................................................

家唐銘 said...

Poverty tries friends...................................................................

best mobiles said...

It's very nice topic in a useful blog thanks for sharing.
& that's my blog hope u visit me soon
www.bestmobilesview.blogspot.com

文王廷 said...

真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。.................................................

宜明文潔 said...

培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。......................................................................

凱v胡倫 said...

打聲招呼,祝你一切平安!............................................................

智柏林婉林亞 said...

大肚能容,了卻人間多少事,滿腔歡喜,笑開天下古今愁。..................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。......................................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

人生匆匆-把握當下,支持鼓勵~事事如意~............................................................

陳昆珍 said...

用心經營blog,人氣百分百~^^ 加油

孫邦柔 said...

你文章很棒的~繼續分享給大家~~~~..................................................

Dr. Mahoney said...

I like your style. It's a shame that the post got spam-commented.

I was drawn to your blog because of the title, which is quite epic. I read this post and was amused, so I thought I might as well leave a comment.

gayuh said...

thanks for sharing, please visit me back

Robert said...

Ninja Ninja Kick

bedava chat said...

Hello Admin something you are really a great article :) friends chat I suggest you all had a nice example of this site shares Enter admin for the count I'm sure many would work too, but thank you very much arkadaşlık siteleri If you help me I would be happy to get out searches such as the every time you come to places you want to güzel sözler wish you continued success bedava chat I would be glad my yazımıda me happy sharing site will also publish chat odaları çet arkadaş I'm sure everything is reciprocal writing and more beautiful things I wish to share izmir chat almanya chat comments by the writings of friends who share a beautiful almanya sohbet I hope to see you again that I take care of yourself respects everyones greetings from Turkey konya sohbet konya chat I wish you inform us in the post every time nice site manager Whenever you do not understand where and how do you find the subject you so Jove chat odaları I congratulate you please confirm my interpretation of chat siteleri I also have a large site in the future you so want to be like you sohbet I'm sure I wish you to support me will be sohbet odaları Thanks to confirm my comment will not accept lives

owlies said...

Wow, lots of spam. Sorry about that, I like your blogs a lot.